Forced Deload

sick as a dog

And by deload, I mean no load.

Haven’t posted to this blogspot in a while and there’s a reason for that. I’ve been sick as a dog (mournful howl).

It all started last Monday when I agreed to take the day off to watch my grandkids. My almost one-year-old granddaughter had come down with a cold during the first week she and her brother were at daycare (the nest of all evil diseases). All went pretty well and I made it through the day.

On Tuesday, I went back to work. Guess what? I had some mild cold symptoms. I never get really sick, at least not for the past several years, so I wasn’t concerned. Left work and headed to an appointment with my eye doc. After that, my son (Uncle Mikey) called saying he needed a ride home from work (his car is in the shop).

Picked him up, chit-chatted on the way home. Felt OK.

Got home. Got the chills.

My wife, being frugal, doesn’t keep the temp below 78 degrees during the summer, so it wasn’t that. I just started shivering. Got a sweater and hung on for dear life.

My granddaughter was in about the same shape, puking up everything.

My wife and my (other) son (the children’s Dad) took her to a doc-in-the-box.

I got steadily worse.

Supposedly, granddaughter had an ear infection, but my son thought the P.A. who did the diagnosing was an idiot. Nevertheless, she came home armed with a formidable array of medications.

That was Tuesday evening. I’ll spare you the drama that comes with divorced parents “dealing” with this sort of crisis, but it was something I didn’t have the energy or time to deal with. Mercifully, it ended and I went to bed.

Wednesday. Not only did I feel like heck but a strong sneeze started my nose bleeding, my “problem” nostril.

Some years back, I got a nose bleed that never stopped. Turned out a vessel way the heck up my right nostril had popped. I got to wear a nose tampon for a few days and then an Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) guy burned a match up my nose (what a unique experience) to seal the deal. Actually, he had to do it again later since he didn’t get the breach at the very top.

That’s what I figured happened to me (again). From Wednesday to Friday, every time I sneezed or coughed strongly, my nose would bleed. I could usually stop it after 10 or 15 minutes.

nose bleed
Chris Pine as James Kirk in “Star Trek” (2009)

Friday afternoon, I sneezed and it didn’t stop. All I could do was lean over a sink and drip a lot. If I tried to block it or put pressure on, I’d just leak into the other nostril and then down my throat. Yuk.

Meanwhile, the rest of us were dealing with our symptoms differently. My grandson and his Dad were least affected, followed by his Uncle. My wife and I were hit hard.

Friday afternoon, I got another “tampon” jammed up my nose and the P.A. was anything but gentle (fortunately, it wasn’t my first time). Today, on Father’s Day, I got the thing removed and so far, nothing’s bleeding. Blowing my nose very, very gently is a roll of the dice.

Even if I didn’t have a nose bleed that could be set off at the drop of a hat, my disease consumed carcass shouldn’t see the inside of a gym or anyplace where there are a lot of people. No one needs what I’ve got.

Meanwhile, “patent zero,” as I call my granddaughter, seems to be recovering. She still wakes up in the middle of the night, but her Dad takes care of that. She stays up as long or longer than usual during the day, and her nap time is just the same. She’s also getting back to her old, cheerful, playful, hungry self.

And because I call this blog “The Old Man’s Gym,” I’m going to mention this forced deload. More than a week now. No cardio. Nada. My appetite was limited for the first few days, but that didn’t last. Even though I’d kill for an afternoon nap every day, I can eat my three squares plus just fine.

More’s the pity.

I feel like I’m gaining fat and losing muscle by the second.

Guess I won’t know how things are really going until I get back to the gym and try to lift.

I'll be backI’ll have to consider it a challenge. I just hope that when I get better, the better stays and the feeling bad doesn’t make a return appearance.

Happy Father’s Day. This wasn’t how I thought mine would turn out.

Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit.

Conrad Hilton


10 thoughts on “Forced Deload

  1. Sorry to hear about all the illness in your family. Sure is a rotten way to spend Father’s Day. I know the deal with divorced parents and sick kids, imhave delt with this situation with my daughter and grandkids. I am trying a much shorter WO myself . Sqt and BP one day,Press and DL on another . On off days doing some band assisted chins,and walking a mile 3 X a week. Here is something I came across last week that may be of interest .Hope you feel better .


    1. Thanks for the tip, Jerry. I’ll just be glad when I feel well enough to go to the gym and do anything at all. Nose started bleeding again. Next stop: have it cauterized. Painful but effective.


  2. No available anesthetic? Can they not at least put you under for 5 minutes, or is this standard emergency care? Achh, you sound terrible…my sympathies!. I am on day 8 of a bout of Whooping Cough…which since I was vaccinated for it with the tetanus shot I really wanted, seems unusual punishment. Soooo much Phlegm going around…may G-d have mercy on us all!!


  3. I know this is an old topic now (so maybe no one is reading at this point), Questor. But… you got whooping cough right after being vaccinated for it?


  4. Hello Marleen…yes, I was dosed with Whooping Cough and Diphtheria along with the shot I wanted for Tetanus…and they only had the Tetanus shot with the other stuff, since it is a common shot for children. It is not something I could recommend to anyone. I haven’t gotten the Diphtheria, but only by the grace of G-d, in my opinion.

    I think I am into my 6th week with it…it is a notoriously difficult bug to shake. I didn’t refuse the shot because I had had Whooping Cough last year! The first weeks are horrendous…but I avoided the bleeding eyes and throat from the horrendous cough that some people get, and just hurt a lot in my inner core. One week in, I didn’t hurt anymore and have much stronger stomach muscles! But one has to recall that this is not considered a dangerous disease for healthy adults…G-d have mercy on the children and the aged!

    However, I do still feel rather coldish, and need only cough to reawaken the nasty sounding cough you get. I am told to expect a full 100 days to recover after I stop being infectious, which was presumably 3 weeks ago, but I am not sure I feel non-infectious…running a fever usually means you are still infectious, right? So, instead of allergy shots to improve my immune system, I have Whooping Cough…I just hope my immune system builds as well as the shots were supposed to accomplish. I am not all that sick, just not fully well either. And this fall, I will re-start the shots. Not like what James went through…and no surgery, either! Just a bad cough that takes forever to go away, during which time you do not feel like doing much. It matches perfectly with a miserably hot summer, and a total lack of inclination to spend any time outside just now, and I am catching up on my reading.

    One has to presume the Tetanus will be very strong protection, but at least I did not catch that, nor the Diphtheria, which can be deadly if you ignore it. Isn’t medical intervention helpful? 😉


  5. When my oldest son, as a baby, got his first DPT shot, I didn’t like his physical reaction (which was brief, but he was like a couple months old and couldn’t talk to describe the situation). I told the doctor about it (extreme lethargy), and we subsequently left out the P part (pertussis/whooping cough). Some time when he was older and he was getting stitches for something — and they like to give tetanus boosters when you get stitches — they just gave him a DPT. He was fine.

    I hope you get much better soon. I hope James succeeds with his goals as well. Sounds like you guys have been through the wringer.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s